Kitty Baby- Blanket Buddy

Monday, February 05, 2007




Ok so here is the first pattern that I did. It's one of those things that sometimes come with a newborn layette set. They are tiny enough that they are safe to put in baby's crib, without being a suffocation hazard. I know my daughter loves the ones I made her. She is 8 months and loves to cuddle them to get to sleep. These would make awesome baby shower gifts, and are really really quick to make. Two hours maybe at the most.

SIZE
One size

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
Width: 5-7 inches
Length: 11-12 inches

MATERIALS
Less than an ounce of any sport weight yarn that’s baby friendly. Yarns I used from my stash:
Red Heart Baby Teri (white multi version)
Lion Brand Microspun (beige version)
Bernat Softee Baby (pink version)

1 set US #6/4.25mm straight needles
1 set US #5/3.75mm straight needles

stuffing for head
yarn needle
scrap yarn to embroider face

GAUGE
20 sts/38 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch for body
24 sts/32 rows = 4" in stockinette stitch for head

Gauge is used as a guideline and does not have to be exact. Just don’t make this too large or it will defeat the purpose! Any sport weight yarn or thinner should be just fine.

PATTERN
Body
Cast on 35 stitches on the larger needles using any method.
Row 1: K1, *p1, k1* across
Row 2: P2tog, *k1, p1* across to last two stitches, end p2tog
Row 3: K2tog, *p1, k1* across to last two stitches, end k2tog
Rows 4-6: Repeat rows 2 and 3, and then row 2 once more. You should have 25 stitches.
Row 7: P1, *k1, p1* across
Repeat row 7 until work measures about 5.5 to 6 inches from cast on edge.

Increase row 1: K1, p1 in the first stitch. K1, *p1, k1* across to the last stitch, p1, k1 in the same stitch
Increase row 2: P1, k1 in the first stitch. P1, *k1, p1* across to the last stitch, k1, p1 in the same stitch.
Repeat the last two rows one more time and then repeat increase row 1 one more time. You should have 35 stitches once again.

Head
Bind off the first 12 stitches, p1, *k1, p1* to end. There should be 23 stitches left.
Repeat this one more time. There should be 11 stitches left on the needle in the center of your body. Switch to smaller needles.

Row 1: Knit into front and back of first stitch, knit across to last stitch, knit into front and back. 13 stitches
Row 2: Purl across
Rows 3-6: Repeat these two rows twice more. 17 stitches
Work even in stockinette stitch for about 4 inches or 4.75 inches from beginning of neck.
Decrease row 1: SSK, knit across, k2tog. 15 stitches
Row 2: Purl across
Rows 3-6: Repeat last two rows twice more. 11 stitches
Bind off.

FINISHING
Using scrap yarn, embroider a face onto the front of your blanket baby. It’s very important not to attach buttons or other objects that could be chewed off or become a choking hazard to a baby. Here's the patterns that I used to embroider two of the kitties. The first one I used on the cream colored kitty, and the second was for the pink kitty. I winged it on the white one and didn't like it as much. My favorite one is the cream one.

Seam up the sides of the head, stuff, and then seam the bottom very securely.

If you would like, tie the little feet into knots. You can wet these and stick in the freezer if you want to. The cold is soothing to babies that are teething and it’s soft on their gums!
You’re finished!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is soooooo cute!!! I will be making some of these for the babies in my life!! Really cute!

Teresa said...

Awww....I might alter one into a puppy for my son (4 months). He loves to cuddle things when he sleeps (usually me..lol).

calimama said...

These are adorable, and they're perfect to whip up for part of a baby shower gift. I just have to say, I've yet to find anything on knitty that I've felt compelled to make immediately (or at all, for that matter), and I've already made 3 of these -- 2 as shower gifts, and one for my son. Knitty's loss, if you ask me. Thanks for posting them!

Betty said...

I love them. They are so cute. You have a beautiful baby too.

monica said...

Those are so cute, but that baby is just adorable : )

Terri Reinhart said...

THANK YOU for posting this pattern for us all! It is adorable. I plan on knitting up several of these.
May I post a link to your patterns on my webpage?
www.studiofoxhoven.squarespace.com

Anonymous said...

To cute off to make one for my niece Asakura, (and my soon to be lil cousins to) so I'll be making five or six...everyone has to have a baby at once...

 
Stitch Therapy - by Templates para novo blogger