Tuesday, June 12, 2007
My hands are killlling me. I spent part of today spinning up the first little bit of lace weight yarn for my spun stitches shawl. It's seriously bad on my back, neck, and hands. Especially because I have horrible posture. Anyway this is what I've got done...and it's not much, but a start for sure! I am debating plying it but I don't know if that would make it too thick? I probably should since I have some very thin threadlike areas, but at the same time I really want more yardage. So that's my dilemma right now. I guess when I wind it off I'll see how bad it really is. I would rather have less yardage and yarn that won't break on me...I've already learned some very important things in regards to spinning. Here they are for ya.
1. Don't spin the spindle too quickly or the twist runs up into the roving and won't draft so well.
2. Don't draft when your spindle has stopped spinning...(duh I know but I didn't realize it had stopped!)
3. Keep your pinched fingers closer together, because it gives you more control, and keeping your fingers holding the roving closer to the twist helps too. I don't drop and break it as much because my fingers are still pinching it.
4. If and when the spindle drops, it tends to untwist quite a bit of what you spun, and if you're not careful, it rips off.
5. It really hurts when you spin for 2 hours straight...
Anyways, I started my lace sock for the along. It's going well, but the sock may be too small. I can always ship them off to my sister!More repeats done on clementine today. I'm so close to being done I can taste it!!! I'd like to get my size four needles back for a few other things...I really should just buy more. I also don't have enough sock needles either. In my case that's probably a good thing since I tend to start way too many things...
Well that's all the updates for now!