Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Before I get into the spinning I've been doing, I must mention that the shop has been updated! I have 6 new rovings up. Go check it out if you're in the market. ;) They are all 100 percent merino. I'll be doing the merino tencel hopefully this week.
So, other than the fact that I'm still spindle plying that orange merino silk...
I finally finished the second single of my pink merino. Monday night I sat down to watch the Bachelor (love the DVR!) and ply the singles. It ended up taking two (whoohoo QVC). So today I sat down to get it off the bobbin and when I was done, realized that it was seriously under plied. Oh boy. So I wound it into a center pull ball and am going to have to slowly reply it. I might do that with the spindle as well, because some parts are plied perfectly. Sigh... I so wanted to be done with it and knit with it.
To make up for it, I dug through the roving stash and started spinning this:It's somewhere in between those colors. Rose, pink, yellow, tiny bits of green and brown. It was my flawful fibers roving in Amore, 100% BFL. I was really worried about how well it would draft since I'm used to the merino, but OH MY GOD I love it. I can get it just as thin (although I'm not, because I want a 2ply sock, instead of the lace I've been doing and I can totally see spinning thicker yarns with it too) and it's just as easy to draft, with a longer staple. So I think next time I buy roving to dye for the shop, I'll get some BFL. Plus it seems like it is kinda shiny when spun. Which is totally a plus. I got through a few chunks of it already too. Generally when I spin I pull the roving in half, then each half into fourths, and each fourth into pieces. With the merino I did 6 or 8 to make it faster to spin into lace. I only pulled these into four pieces.
Ok well this is just a quick post. More later!