Knit So Fine

Friday, June 06, 2008

So today I went to Borders. I went looking for two books. One was a cookbook, Deceptively Delicious. It seems like a good book for sneaky ways to make your kids eat stuff they wouldn't normally. So they had it, but my other book trumped that one. I only had one coupon you see, and so that one will wait for a week or two until they email me another.

This is the book I got:
I've known since the previews that I wanted to get it and after looking through it in person, I couldn't leave it there. Besides, it was the last copy they had! Here are some pictures of my favorites from the book.

Eyelet Halter:
Dolman Top:
I like this top even though it's not something I'd probably wear. Maybe without the sleeves though, like a short sleeve or vest thing.

Asymmetric Cardigan:
Traveling Stitch Legwarmers:
Lattice Lace Pullover:
Lace Stole:
Fingerless Elbow Mitts:
I think it's neat how these kind of match the legwarmers. Though I wouldn't wear them together, too matchy. I also loooove that they go up past the elbow. Good in white for a winter wedding! Obviously not mine lol, but that's the first thing I thought of.

Cowlneck Pullover:
Cabled Vest:
Kimono Top:
I adore this pattern almost above all others. Look at the fun stitch pattern! I know there was a skirt with this butterfly looking stitch, on Knitty Gritty. I wanted to make it but it was a teeny size. It looks flattering too.
And of course I like the Lace Trimmed Raglan on the cover besides. The book has lots of good information on why knitting with finer yarns is worth the effort, shaping, better fit, durability. I think it's great! I love this barbie doll picture they show, to emphasize the difference in fit and shape between thick and fine yarn garments.
The caption to the left reads:

"Even the fashion doll-with her exaggerated proportions-looks better in the clingy, thin, curve-hugging fine-gauge yarn."

The only thing that is weird, is they didn't really name the garments. They are more just descriptions of the item. I think they could have been a little more creative, but whatever. I like the patterns and I suppose that's what counts.

I caved today and started the Rivendell sock. I couldn't help it. I really just wanted to see how my chosen yarn looked in it, and I'm so close to finishing my swirls socks anyway. So I got a little bit past this point in the picture, and decided that it's not so much the colors I don't like, as the yarn. It's a tencel blend, so not as much give, and I think with the wraps that's essential. I think the yarn is also a tad too bright. So I ripped and went with my second choice which I think I'll be happier with. Pictures of it later when I get further on it. I love the pattern though!

Tomorrow is knit group at Paradise Fibers. Not sure if I'll bring knitting or spinning yet. Either way, it will be great to get out of the house!

4 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm going to have to take a look at that book. The patterns look beautiful! Can't wait to see which one you make!

Montreal Mama said...

I see a few patterns in that book I want to knit already! :)

Opal said...

That book looks like a winner. I love the stole!

Rachel said...

Have fun with the Rivendell sock. It looks like a really nice pattern!

 
Stitch Therapy - by Templates para novo blogger